Need a new soup recipe to try? This King Ranch Chicken Soup really hits the spot!
by Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chilies
- A few shakes of Tabasco (more if you like it hotter)
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
Topping – Avocado and Tomato Salsa:
- ½ avocado – cubed
- 1 large Roma tomato – chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
Additional ingredient for serving:
- Crispy tortilla strips
1. Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
2. Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the chicken and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the chicken begins to brown and is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth green chilies and Tabasco. Stir. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the half and half and Velveeta. Cook and stir until the cheese melts. Add the cream cheese and continue to cook and stir until the cream cheese melts and is fully incorporated.
3. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with crispy tortilla strips and a spoon (or two) of the Avocado and Tomato Salsa!
Powered by Recipage
* This King Ranch Chicken Soup recipe was adapted from The Weekend Gourmet
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
For even more great soup recipes, be sure to visit my Ultimate Soup Recipe List – it’s an ongoing linky party, so new stuff is being added throughout the year! Bloggers, feel free to add your recipes to the linky as well! 😉
Shared at these fun parties!