Need a new soup recipe to try? This King Ranch Chicken Soup really hits the spot! You will be happy to know how easy it is too. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
King Ranch Chicken Soup
I am not a fan of Winter … but I love a warm bowl of soup on a cold night. This soup is a spin on the classic and famous casserole dish by the same name! I hope you enjoy!
For even more great soup recipes, be sure to visit my Ultimate Soup Recipe List – it’s an ongoing linky party, so new stuff is being added throughout the year! Bloggers, feel free to add your recipes to the linky as well! 😉
Other recipes you may enjoy
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chilies
- A few shakes of Tabasco (more if you like it hotter)
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
Topping - Avocado and Tomato Salsa
- 1/2 avocado - cubed
- 1 large Roma tomato - chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Additional ingredient for serving
- Crispy tortilla strips
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the chicken and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the chicken begins to brown and is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth green chilies and Tabasco. Stir. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the half and half and Velveeta. Cook and stir until the cheese melts. Add the cream cheese and continue to cook and stir until the cream cheese melts and is fully incorporated.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with crispy tortilla strips and a spoon (or two) of the Avocado and Tomato Salsa!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 719Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 226mgSodium: 1019mgFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 60g
Originally published on August 19, 2013. Updated on April 23, 2021.