This recipe for making Creamed Peas couldn’t be more simple! In less than 20 minutes, you’ll have a homemade version of a beloved side dish.
Table of contents
Recipes with Peas
Creamed Peas are a classic side dish that is simple to prepare yet offers a delicious and comforting taste that is perfect for any meal. If you have never had them before, Creamed Peas consist of peas that have been cooked until tender and then mixed with a rich, creamy sauce.
The creamy sauce that is used to make a recipe for Creamed Peas is usually made by combining butter, flour, milk or cream, and seasonings. The butter is melted in a saucepan, and the flour is whisked in to create a roux, which acts as a thickener for the sauce. Milk or cream is then gradually added to the roux while whisking continuously, creating a smooth and velvety sauce. The seasonings used can vary depending on personal preference, but common choices include salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
Once the sauce is ready, the cooked peas are added to it, and the mixture is heated through until the peas are coated in the creamy sauce. The result is a side dish that is creamy, savory, and full of flavor.
Creamed Peas are often served as a side dish with a variety of main courses, including roasted meats, grilled chicken, or baked fish. They are also a popular addition to holiday meals, such as Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners.
Creamed Peas can be prepared ahead of time and reheated, making them a convenient and time-saving dish for busy weeknights.
Creamed Peas are easy to prepare and pair well with a variety of main courses, making them a versatile addition to any meal. Enjoy!
Cream Peas: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Creamed Peas recipe, you will need …
- frozen green peas – make sure to thaw them. Alternatively, you can use canned peas instead!
- water, salt, butter – you’ll cook your peas in this to start the recipe.
- heavy cream, flour, and sugar – these ingredients, when combined, will turn your peas into creamed peas! They make a creamy sauce.
- medium saucepan – for cooking your peas.
- small bowl – for mixing together your cream, flour, and sugar.
How to make Creamed Peas
First, mix your peas with other ingredients. In a medium saucepan, combine the peas, water, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then stir in the butter.
Next, add a cream mixture to the peas. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, flour, and sugar. Stir the mixture into the peas.
Finally, cook everything and serve it up! Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly (which takes about 5 minutes). Remove it all from the heat and serve immediately.
Creamed Peas Recipe: FAQs
This recipe only takes 15 minutes! It’s 5 minutes of prep and 10 minutes of cooking.
This should make four servings, give or take!
Instead of using heavy cream, you can use half and half if you feel it needs to be lighter! Milk also works.
You can keep them in the freezer in a zip-top bag for about three months or in the fridge for about three days. Heat them up in the microwave or on the stove after they’ve thawed out!
Yes! If you have naturally sweet peas, go ahead and leave out the sugar if you don’t want the cream to overpower everything. On the other hand, you can add more sugar if you think the cream sauce isn’t sweet enough.
Adding pearl onions to this dish (during the saucepan stage!) provides a lot of wonderful flavors. Onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper are all fantastic in creamed peas, too! Some of my other favorites include…
– nutmeg (I know it sounds crazy, but a touch of earthy sweetness works!)
– bacon, ham, or some other pork product
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine the peas, water, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then stir in butter.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cream, flour, and sugar. Stir the mixture into the peas after adding the butter.
- Cook over medium-high heat until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
- To lighten this dish up slightly, you can use half and half or milk in place of the heavy cream.
- Try adding pearl onions to the saucepan with the peas.
- For even more flavor, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of each onion powder and garlic powder, along with 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- You can also use canned peas in place of frozen peas.
- If you prefer a sweeter taste, you can add more granulated sugar. Or, if you prefer to let the pea’s natural sweetness shine through, you can omit it completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe)
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Medium 2 Quart Nonstick Saucepan with Glass Lid
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.