This Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball is great when you want cheesecake, but want it in an easily munchable form! It’s a quick dessert or fun snack to make for an event, or just to have at home.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Table of contents
Cheese Balls with Chocolate Chips
Y’all probably know by now that I love desserts…at least, I hope you do, from the blog title. 😉 And in particular, I love desserts that you can use for any occasion. These cheese balls with chocolate chips are a great snack just to have at home if you’re in the mood for something sweet, or equally amazing at an event, birthday party, etc. Since you have to make them ahead of time anyway, you can prep them before your get-together!
By the way, if you’ve never heard of a recipe like this before, think cheesecake in a cute ball form! I know the title may be misleading, but you’re not mixing chocolate with feta or something, I promise. You’re essentially using cream cheese, sugar, chocolate, and a few other ingredients to create a little sphere of yummy cheesecake-like goodness. It’s delicious and totally kid-friendly, too, especially if you use M&Ms or something similar inside or outside the ball!
It’s an awesome super-snacky version of a cheesecake…which, now that I think about it, may be dangerous for some of us! 😉 Enjoy!
Cheesecake Ball: Ingredients and Equipment
For this Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball, you’ll need …
- cream cheese – Softened and at room temperature. This is the “cheese” part of your cheese ball and if you’ve ever made a cheesecake before, it won’t seem odd!!
- butter – Helps with texture! I’ve personally found that ensuring the butter is at room temperature too helps with a wonderfully perfect, smooth ball.
- powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract – These turn your cheese ball into something flavorful and sweet…rather than just a hunk of chilled cream cheese. Be sure to mix in the sugars well, or else they won’t incorporate properly and you’ll get a weird grainy texture in your cheese ball. Not fun!
- semi-sweet chocolate chips – You’ll fold these into your cheesecake ball for a chocolatey twist!
- chopped pecans – When your cheese ball is done, you’ll roll it in pecans to give it a crunchy coating.
- mixing bowl – To mix your ingredients together.
- plastic wrap – For covering the mixing bowl while it chills in the fridge.
Cheese Ball with Chocolate Chips: FAQs
Yes – just wrap them up in plastic wrap and they’ll be good for 5-7 days in the fridge.
They’ll last in the freezer for about a month! Just wrap them up in aluminum foil. When you want to serve them, bring them into the fridge to thaw.
No more than 1-2 hours. There are too many ingredients that can spoil!
Any you’d like, though I wouldn’t use fat-free or low-fat cream cheese. These don’t really keep the “ball” shape well.
Oh yes! Peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, or any of your favorites pair well with this chocolate chip cheese ball.
Yes, crushed graham crackers are good! I also recommend M&Ms or more chocolate chips for the coating as an extra-chocolatey treat. If you want to combine some salty in your sweet, try crushed pretzels too!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- sugar cookies, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, animal crackers, etc.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add both sugars and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an additional 1 hour.
- Uncover the cheese ball and roll in pecans before serving. Serve with sugar cookies, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, and/or animal crackers.
- It is important to keep this cheese ball out no more than 1-2 hours. There are too many ingredients that can spoil!
- Wrapped in plastic wrap, this cheeseball is good for 5-7 days in the fridge.
- Wrapped in a layer of plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil, you can keep this cheese ball in the freezer for about a month! When you want to serve it, put it in the fridge to thaw completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ClingWrap Plastic Food Wrap - 300 Square Foot Roll - 4 Pack (Package May Vary)
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Hand Mixer with Snap-On Case
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.