This copycat Chick-Fil-A Grilled Chicken Club is absolutely going to become a new staple in your house! It’s exactly like the original at Chick-Fil-A, and even if you’ve never had their chicken clubs before, it’s different than any other fast food copycat recipe. Try it out!
Table of contents
Chicken Club Sandwich
This isn’t just any grilled chicken club. It’s a copycat Chick-Fil-A Grilled Chicken Club recipe!
It’s special because it uses their marinade, which is generally made of dill pickle juice, milk, sugar, and other ingredients. And I know those ingredients sound very weird, but trust me, you’ll love it.
If you like Chick-Fil-A already, you know what I mean. If you’re looking for a new chicken club recipe, this will definitely be your fave!
Serve this chicken club sandwich up with Chick-Fil-A’s special honey-roasted BBQ sauce for an “authentic” Chick-Fil-A experience!
It’s so close to the original. I was shocked when I first put it together!! It might even be better than the original! Enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Club: Ingredients & Equipment
For this Chick-fil-A Grilled Chicken Club recipe, you will need …
For the chicken
- chicken breasts – boneless and skinless. In other words, great for grilling!
- dill pickle juice, whole milk, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, and smoked paprika – this concoction, though made of a strange assortment of ingredients, is close to the marinade that Chick-Fil-A uses! This recipe is extremely important, so don’t leave anything out. I promise the taste is worth it!
To make the sandwich
- pepper jack or Colby jack cheese – these are actually the exact cheeses that Chick-Fil-A uses on the sandwich.
- multigrain buns, lettuce, tomato slices – the rest of the sandwich. Tasty!
- applewood smoked bacon – thin slices, cut in half and crispy.
- Chick-fil-A Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce – be sure to make my homemade version for a true copycat Chick-fil-A experience!
- bowls – for making your sauce, marinade, etc.
- grill – or whatever appliance you use to grill chicken/meat, generally!
How to make Chick-fil-A Grilled Chicken Club
First, prep your chicken. Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then whisk together the pickle juice, milk, powdered sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and paprika. This is your marinade! Add the chicken to the marinade and let it sit in the fridge, covered, for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
Second, make your honey BBQ sauce. If you haven’t already. I have a whole separate blog post about the honey bbq sauce, but basically, whisk together mayonnaise, bbq sauce, honey, dijon, lemon juice, and paprika. Throw it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it!
Third, cook your chicken. Once the chicken’s done marinating, preheat your grill to medium, then get to grilling! Flip your chicken occasionally until the internal temperature hits 165°F in the thickest part of the breast. (Important!! That’s how you know it’s done!) It shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes.
Finally, assemble your club sandwich and enjoy! Take the chicken off the heat and top each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese. Put a piece of chicken between the buns with lettuce and tomato and half a slice of bacon. Spread the BBQ sauce on the cut side of the top bun, and enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe: FAQs
The prep time is only about 15 minutes, and the cooking time is the same. The longest part is waiting for the chicken to sit in the marinade, which takes between 30 minutes and 4 hours.
Keep all parts unassembled for 3 days, then warm the chicken in the microwave or oven. Be careful not to heat it too long, or else the chicken will be dry.
Not the sandwich itself, but you can freeze the chicken for 3 months in an airtight container.
Other recipes you may enjoy
For the chicken
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup dill pickle juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the sandwiches
- 4 slices pepper jack or Colby jack cheese
- 4 multigrain buns
- green leaf lettuce
- beefsteak tomato slices
- 4 slices thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cooked crispy
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce
- Cut the breasts in half lengthwise and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pickle juice, milk, powdered sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and paprika. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and coat the chicken completely with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- If needed, prepare the Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce and then cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat the grill over medium heat. Cook the chicken, occasionally flipping until an internal temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the breast, for up to 15 minutes total. Remove the chicken from the heat and top each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese to melt slightly.
- To assemble the sandwiches, remove the tops of the buns and add lettuce and a tomato slice to the bottom bun. Then add a piece of chicken followed by a slice of bacon broken in half, so it fits the sandwich.
- Spread the honey-roasted bbq sauce on the cut side of the top bun. Add the top bun to the assembled sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
- This is a very close copycat to the original. You can leave off the cheese and bacon if you prefer, and this would make their classic grilled chicken sandwich.
- They always serve honey-roasted bbq sauce with grilled chicken sandwiches, and to me is the best part of the whole thing! It is by far my favorite sauce that Chick-Fil-A offers, and my copycat recipe is very close to the original as well.
- Chick-fil-A offers pepper jack cheese or Colby Jack cheese to top the sandwich. You can use whatever cheese you want, but it would no longer be a copycat recipe.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days unassembled and separately. Warm the chicken in the microwave or oven until just heated through, or it may become dry. You can also use it cold for a cold version of the sandwich, which is amazing as well.
- You can also freeze any leftover chicken in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Pot Holder Trivet Mats - Hot Pads Spoon Rest, Multipurpose Trivet for Hot Dishers Heat Resistant Food Grade Silicone Set of 4
Digital Instant Read Food Thermometer
Silicone Kitchen Tongs 2 Pack (9-Inch & 12-Inch)
Cast Iron Square Grill Pan with Lid - Large 12” Grilling Pan with Glass Lid - Lightly Pre-Seasoned Cookware Gets Better with Use
Char-Broil 4-Burner Cabinet Style Liquid Propane Gas Grill, Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - 5 Piece Stackable Measuring Set
ClingWrap Plastic Food Wrap - 300 Square Foot Roll - 4 Pack (Package May Vary)
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Chef Knife - 8 Inches
Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, Non-Slip, Extra Large Thick Chopping Boards, Dishwasher Safe, Non-Porous, Set of 3
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 2140mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 42g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.