Baja Citrus Chicken is a moist and delicious grilled chicken recipe (similar to beer can chicken, but with soda) perfect to eat as is or in your favorite recipe! #FlavorforLess #PMedia #ad
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Baja Citrus Chicken
This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #FlavorforLess http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV (Affiliate links may be used in this post)
My family has been working on making healthier meal choices. Truthfully, some days are easier than others – especially when you’re a food blogger. It’s very difficult not to be tempted when you are constantly surrounded by food.
Some of the ways we make our food healthier is by grilling or baking instead of frying, cutting out sugar and some of the processed foods (not all of it though!), and by substituting healthier versions of our favorite products.
During a recent grocery trip to my local Safeway, I noticed a new product – 7 Up Ten!! Have you seen it?! There is also a Sunkist Ten, A&W Ten and a Canada Dry Ten. I wanted to make my Baja Citrus Chicken and use it for tacos, but after seeing the new 7 Up Ten, I decided to give it a try versus the regular 7 Up I usually use. It has all the great taste of 7 Up with just ten calories per 12 oz. serving!
Just a note: You can make it even easier to keep your chicken upright with a soda can chicken cooker. Although it is not necessary, I have one and I absolutely love it! It’s inexpensive too! I makes grilling soda can chicken super easy!
You don’t have to have the nifty soda can chicken cooker
to make this chicken. If you don’t have the stand, use the legs and the can to make a sort of tripod shape to balance the chicken in the pan on the grill! 🙂
Of course, coupons always sweeten the deal …. Visit the Just For U website for a coupon for a free 2 liter of any flavor of the TEN calories products at any Safeway brand store. Offer is available from 5/12-5/19, while supplies last.
- 1 (3-4 lb.) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 packet (1 oz.) McCormick's Grill Mates Baja Citrus Marinade
- 1 can (12 oz.) 7 Up Ten soda
- Preheat an outdoor grill over medium-high heat until it reaches 375°F. Prepare the grill for cooking over indirect heat.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken and discard. Rub the oil all over the outside of the chicken. Then, rub the marinade all over the outside of the chicken. Pour about half of the can of soda into a cup, discard or drink the contents in the cup. Place the remaining half of a can of soda into a the cavity of the chicken, with the legs on the bottom, keeping the chicken upright. Place the chicken in an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch metal pan.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared grill and cook over indirect heat. Grill, covered, for about an hour to an hour and a half - or until the juices run clear and the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reads 180°F.
- Remove the pan from the grill. Remove the chicken from the soda can and discard the can. Loosely cover the chicken with foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving or using in other recipes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 642Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 202mgSodium: 207mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 50g
Originally published on May 12, 2014. Updated on April 27, 2021.