Welcome to #EatHealthy16 where over 30 bloggers are coming together to share recipes to help you with your start 2016 off on the right track with food that is nutritious and delicious. Brianne of Cupcakes & Kale Chips will have healthy snacks, Jamie of Love Bakes Good Cakes will have healthy meals, and Jenny of The Melrose Family will have healthy desserts, so make sure you follow the #EatHealthy16 hashtag throughout the month of January for tons of inspiration!
We are also excited to be giving all of our readers a chance to win a Blendtec 725 blender and Twister Jar, an over $750 value. Be sure to head over to Cooking on the Front Burner to enter! You have through February 5, 2016, to enter. Giveaway is open to U.S. residents 18 years of age and older. Winner must respond via email with a valid shipping address within 48 hours of being contacted or another winner will be selected. Good luck!
Disclaimer: Blendtec provided blenders for the giveaway and the three hostesses for review purposes. No other compensation was received, and, as always, all opinions are my own.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
by Deb @ Cooking on the Front Burner
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: about 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut 1"
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded cut 1/2"
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz undrained diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt to taste
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic
- Cook about 8 minutes until onions are tender; stir occasionally
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper then reduce heat to medium
- Cover and cook for 8 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add stock, beans, tomatoes and bring to boil; stir occasionally and let simmer for 15 minutes then remove from heat
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Season with salt as desired
- If desired add shredded cheese, sour cream or more cilantro on top
Don't forget to head over and enter for a chance to win in the Blendtec giveaway!
Thanks for having me my friend Jamie! I would love to have you stop by my place to see what I've been up to and if you are looking for more soups, here are a couple of our favs: