This is one of those recipes that remind me of home. It's not necessarily a dish we had often, but it was a memorable dish when my grandma or mom made it! Occasionally, I make the noodles from scratch like my grandma and mom do ... and other times, I just buy them frozen! 😉
Depending on the day, sometimes I like my Beef and Noodles with more broth than other times. Feel free to adjust the liquid to your family's preference and to your slow cooker. If you like a thicker recipe, use less liquid - and if you like it more like a soup, use more liquid. In my slow cooker, I used the initial can of beef broth mixed with soup mix, soup, and garlic - plus, I later added 8 cups (2 full cartons) of beef broth - which yields what you see in these pictures.
Although my grandma and mom didn't make their Beef and Noodles in the slow cooker, it's my preferred method. I usually start the beef the night before so it's nice and tender in the morning. I quickly shred it and add in some additional beef broth before going about my day. Then, about an hour before mealtime, I add the noodles. It really is that easy and you won't believe how rich and flavorful this dish is until you try it!!
Slow Cooker Beef and Noodlesby
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12+ hours
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2-3 lb. beef roast
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 envelope (from a 2.2 oz. box) beefy onion soup mix
- 1 can (10.5-10.75 oz.) cream of celery or mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups beef broth or water, more if desired
- 1 pkg. (24 oz.) frozen home-style egg noodles
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the beef broth, beefy onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, and garlic cloves. Set aside.
2. Place the roast in a 5-qt. (or larger) slow cooker. Add the soup mixture. Cover and cook for 8 hours or overnight on LOW, or until the beef shreds easily.
3. In the morning, break beef apart and add 6 -8 cups of beef broth or water. Cover and continue to cook an additional 8 hours on LOW.
4. An hour before you eat, add egg noodles, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for an additional hour on HIGH or until noodles are tender.
Don't forget to pin it!