I don’t know about y’all, but Pineapple Upside Down Cake just screams warm weather and fun! If I had to pick a dessert that wasn’t chocolate, it would probably be this cake – it’s a classic for a reason!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Hi y’all!! Can you believe we’re more than halfway through February?! I know some of you are looking forward to Spring – and I don’t blame you! Here in Phoenix, we’re setting records this weekend with high’s in the upper 80’s ……. which means I’m ready for warm weather food. Although Pineapple Upside Down Cake can be eaten any time of the year, I really love it in the Spring and Summer …. Fall and Winter are for pumpkin and peppermint, respectively! 😉
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp.) stick butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 oz.) sliced pineapple in juice, drained
- Maraschino cherries, if desired (no stems)
- 1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a 10-in. oven-proof skillet or in a 9x9x2-in. baking dish. Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter. Arrange the pineapple slices over the brown sugar. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.
- Beat the remaining ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed for 30-45 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat on HIGH speed for 3 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Pour the cake batter over the pineapple.
- Bake the skillet for 45-50 minutes or the 9x9x2-in pan for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center tests clean. Immediately turn the skillet or baking dish upside down over a heat-proof plate. Let the skillet or pan remain over the cake for 3-4 minutes. Remove the skillet or baking dish. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 6g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels.
Originally published on February 17, 2014. Updated on April 25, 2021.