Before our move, I had to try to use up what was in our pantry. I really didn’t want to have to move more stuff than we had to – and believe me, we moved a lot of stuff! You know what they say, right? Necessity is the mother of invention! Let me tell you, it is the truth!
I had some random stuff in my pantry and wanted to make a “different” kind of pasta dish to use up some of the stuff I had. I don’t know about your family, but mine will eat most anything that has noodles in it! I also knew I wanted something with a little kick …. and maybe borderline Tex-Mex because, we were moving to Arizona after all! I didn’t necessarily want a runny sauce like traditional spaghetti sauce – but something a little more chunky and rugged.
To tell the truth, I have no idea what cowboys ate .. or do eat. This dish just reminded me of something they would eat. I threw this together and it was a hit with the family! The sauce is reminiscent of cross between a less liquid chili and a taco-y kind of mix – if that makes any sense? Any who – I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine! 🙂
For the Sauce
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 oz.) Ro-Tel tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- pinch cayenne powder
- Spaghetti noodles
Suggested toppings: Shredded Cheddar cheese, Sour Cream, Black Olives, Green Onions, Avocados, Chopped Tomatoes, Crushed Fritos.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble the beef with the onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Add remaining "sauce" ingredients and cook over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Top cooked noodles with sauce and any desired toppings. Serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1100mgFiber: 12gSugar: 8gProtein: 34g
I hope you enjoy! Shared at these
Featured at Ducks ‘n a Row
Don’t forget to share and comment ♥
Where you can find Love Bakes Good Cakes:
Copyright © Love Bakes Good Cakes 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved