Leftover corned beef gets new life in this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup. Corned Beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes mix for a new spin on the traditional St. Patricks’ Day meal!
St. Patrick’s Day is this weekend and I’m almost ashamed to say that I don’t really have any plans to celebrate it and I’m not making the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage. Being a food blogger means that I often am planning meals and blog posts two to three months ahead of time. So in a sense, we’ve kinda already “celebrated” with our St. Paddy’s day meal a little earlier than most.
The good thing is, it gives me the chance to share recipes like this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup ahead of the actual holiday to help give you ideas on how to use up the leftovers! So it’s not necessarily a bad thing. You will love how easily this all comes together. Serve it with a side of crusty bread and you have a complete meal.
Corned beef is one of those things I never think to buy except around this time of the year … I’m not even sure why? It’s kind of like pumpkin stuff in the fall. My family enjoys Corned Beef and Cabbage when I make it so I’m not really sure why I don’t make it more often. I mean, it’s not really a seasonal dish – or is it?
I had some leftover corned beef from when I made Corned Beef and Cabbage and decided to make a soup with it. It was hearty and filling. I feel like a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of freshly chopped dill pulled it all together, but that’s totally optional!
Things you’ll need to make this recipe:
I hope you enjoy this new way to use up some of those leftovers from St. Patrick’s Day! If I am completely honest, I’m totally hyped up for and already planning out Cinco de Mayo posts … that’s more my jam anyways.
OTHER POSTS YOU MAY ENJOY:
Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
Leftover corned beef gets new life in this Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup. Corned Beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes mix for a new spin on the traditional St. Patricks' Day meal!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups leftover corned beef
- 3 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1lb. potatoes, peeled if desired and cut into bite size pices
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cartons (32 oz. each) chicken broth
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Fresh dill, chopped, for serving (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish individual bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh dill.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 971kcal Calories from fat 590|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 66g||102%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Don’t forget to pin it!