This Cherry Upside Down Cake is the perfect way to welcome cherry season! With a tender crumbed sour cream and butter cake, it’s especially delicious warm!
Cherry Upside Down Cake with Almond Whipped Cream
I have been waiting almost a year to share this with y’all! My intention was to share this Cherry upside Down Cake with Almond Whipped Cream last year, but my pictures were awful. I was too embarrassed to share them with y’all. I didn’t have the opportunity to re-take the pictures …. so I waited. Patiently.
Needless to say, photography has been a huge learning curve for me. I seriously underestimated its importance when I first started blogging. I didn’t try to style my food, I didn’t pay attention to lighting …. and it showed. Along the way, I learned a few things and started to actually try to take decent pictures. If you look back at my old pictures, you can see where I kinda started figuring out the importance of light – because all of my pictures are taken outside. No joke. At that point, it was literally whatever food I was photographing, plopped on a plate. *sigh* I had (and still have!) so much to learn! I don’t think learning ever ends, does it?!
I am so much happier with the pictures of this awesome cake! I’m not at all embarrassed to share these with you! 🙂
This is similar, but different – obviously! – to a pineapple upside down cake. I love them both equally! If you’re looking for a Summer dessert that impresses – definitely give this one a try!! It’s as good as it looks and sounds! 🙂
This Cherry Upside Down Cake with Almond Whipped Cream is the perfect way to end a Summer dinner.
Why not make one soon?
Other recipes you may enjoy
For the cake
- 1 1/2 pounds red cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-Inch Round Pan and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and microwave an additional 60 seconds. Mix well and pour over the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Top with the cherries, in a single layer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat the butter with the almond extract with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Gradually beat in the sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to beat until light and fluffy - about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, add half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Add the sour cream and mix just until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture beating just until smooth. The batter will be thick. Gently spread the cake batter over the top of the cherries with a spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and the cake tests clean when a toothpick is inserted near the center.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the perimeter of the pan. Cover the cake pan with a cake platter and invert so the cake is on the platter. If any cherries have stuck to the pan, replace them on top of the cake.
- To make the almond whipped cream, beat all of the whipped cream ingredients in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until firm peaks form.
- Serve the warm cake with dollops of the whipped cream. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 102mgFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g
Originally published on July 8, 2014. Updated on April 29, 2021.