Change up your boring dinner routine with this easy recipe for Fry Bread Tacos (aka Navajo Tacos). A quick and simple bread dough is quickly fried and then topped with your favorite taco toppings!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Fry Bread Tacos
My first experience with Fry Bread Tacos was about 17 or 18 years ago from my Aunt Tammy. At the time, she lived two doors down from me and she gave me all kinds of recipes or ideas for recipes. Since I was young and really, just starting out in life, those recipes were very needed. At the time, I think I had one cookbook to my name? My Aunt Tammy was very good at knowing how to stretch a buck and I swear, she could make an entire meal out of what almost seemed like nothing.
Needless to say, many of those recipes she gave me became the starting place for me in the kitchen. Many of Aunt Tammy’s recipes were from-scratch and for things that you could easily make at home to save yourself a few dollars at the store.
Making the tacos
Fry Bread is one of those things my family only has two or three times a year – but every single time I make it, I’m taken back to my Aunt Tammy’s house when she first told me about them! This is one of those recipes that is sooooo easy! Seriously, easy! I love how the bread puffs up and it really is the perfect vessel for holding all of your taco fixings! Feel free to use your choice of beans and meat. For this night, we went with refried beans and ground beef – but it is equally delicious with shredded chicken and pinto beans or pork carnitas with black beans. Whatever combo you choose, you can’t go wrong! Of course, add your favorite taco topping to make this a grand slam meal! Enjoy!
Have you ever tried Fry Bread Tacos before? I would love for you to tell me your favorite way to top Fry Bread Tacos in the comments!
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
For the fry bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed
For the tacos
- 1 lb. taco seasoned meat (beef, pork or chicken)
- 2 cups your favorite beans (refried, pinto, kidney, black)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
Additional ingredients for serving
- Salsa, sour cream, guacamole, taco sauce (if desired)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk with a wooden spoon and mix until the dough comes together. Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 375°F. Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep. Divide dough into 4 to 6 pieces and use a rolling pin to shape dough into ¼-inch thickness circles.
- Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.
- Top fry bread with your choice of beans, choice of taco seasoned meat, lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. Top with your choice of additional ingredients, such as salsa, sour cream, guacamole or taco sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1087Total Fat: 78gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1066mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 42g