Get ready for a spooktacular Halloween with these adorable Frankenstein Sugar Cookies! 🎃 Made with just a few store-bought ingredients, these cookies are a breeze to make and perfect for busy parents. Ideal for Halloween parties, gifting, or a fun family activity. Don’t miss out on these cute, easy, and delicious treats that are sure to be a hit!
Table of contents
Halloween is just around the corner, and if you’re looking for a quick, easy, and adorable treat, look no further than Frankenstein Sugar Cookies!
The best part? You only need two store-bought ingredients to whip these up, making them ideal for busy moms and dads. You can add these Frankenstein cookies to your Halloween to-do list without worrying about complicated recipes or time-consuming steps.
Want to add your own twist? Feel free to incorporate an exciting extract into the dough or chocolate sprinkles to make these Frankenstein cookies even more special. When it comes to decorating, there’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to create the Frankenstein faces. Use your creativity and have fun with it!
If you’re concerned about making your Halloween preparations hassle-free, these Halloween Cookies are a game-changer. Besides being easy to make, they’re also incredibly versatile.
Want to get the kids involved? The decorating part is so straightforward that even little hands can contribute. This Halloween cookie is a great way to keep youngsters entertained and excited for the upcoming holiday.
And don’t forget, these cookies are not just for Halloween parties. They make excellent gifts for neighbors, friends, or teachers. Just pack them in an air-tight container, maybe add a little Halloween-themed ribbon, and you have a homemade gift that’s both thoughtful and seasonal.
These Frankenstein Sugar Cookies check all the boxes: they’re easy, quick, and absolutely adorable. They offer a fantastic opportunity to add a handmade touch to your Halloween festivities without requiring a culinary degree or hours in the kitchen.
So why wait? Make your Halloween celebration extra special this year with these delightful Frankenstein treats!
Frankenstein Sugar Cookies: Ingredients & Equipment
To make Frankenstein Sugar Cookies, you will need …
- all-purpose flour – to prevent the dough from sticking to the work surface.
- premade sugar cookie dough – I use store-bought dough because it makes this recipe easy and fast. You can also use your favorite homemade sugar cookie dough – you will still need about the same weight. Make sure you keep the dough chilled until you are ready to use it.
- chocolate frosting and black food gel – combine to create the frosting you will use for the hair, mouth, scars, etc.
- green food gel – added to the cookie dough to give it the green Frankenstein color. Make sure to buy high-quality food gels. They often offer a more vibrant color without altering the texture of your cookie dough or frosting.
- candy eyes – you can use the same size or different size eyes.
- rectangle cookie cutters – for cutting the cookie dough. I like to use assorted sizes, but you can use the same size if you prefer. No cookie cutter? No problem – use a knife to cut rectangle shapes from the dough!
- mixing bowl and wooden spoon (or similar utensil for mixing) – for combining the ingredients.
- rolling pin – to roll out the cookie dough.
- baking sheet, parchment paper, and cooling rack – for baking and cooling the cookies.
- piping bag and tip #3 – for decorating the cookies.
How to make Frankenstein Cookies
Preheat the oven and prepare the baking sheet. Preheat the oven according to the cookie dough directions on the label. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Make the green cookie dough. Add sugar cookie dough to a large mixing bowl. Mix in 4 to 5 drops of green food gel to the sugar cookie dough.
Roll out cookie dough. Roll out green sugar cookie dough. You can use all-purpose flour to prevent sticking to the countertop and rolling pin.
Cut shapes from the cookie dough. Use a rectangle cookie cutter and cut-out cookies. Add two small pieces of cookie dough three-quarters of the way down the sides of the rectangle. This will create the bolt on each side of Frankenstein.
Bake. Bake the cookies in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
Cool. Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
Prepare the frosting. In a medium-size microwavable safe bowl, add in frosting and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in black food gel to the melted frosting. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag.
Decorate. Create a fun Frankenstein face with the frosting and candy eyes. Allow frosting to harden.
Store and enjoy! Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat.
Halloween Sugar Cookies: FAQs
No, you can absolutely make your own sugar cookie dough. Just follow your favorite recipe and add green food gel for that Frankenstein touch.
Yes, but food gel gives a more vibrant color without altering the texture. Regular food coloring may require more quantity for the same intensity and could change the dough’s consistency.
If your cookies spread, you can reshape them immediately after taking them out of the oven. Use a flat wooden spoon or butter knife to push the edges back into shape before they cool.
Definitely! If you have a go-to frosting recipe that you love, feel free to use it. Just add black food gel to get that Frankenstein look.
Stored in an air-tight container, these cookies should stay fresh for up to a week.
Yes, you can freeze the undecorated cookies for up to 3 months. Just place them in a single layer in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper. Decorate after thawing.
Feel free to incorporate an exciting extract into the dough or chocolate sprinkles to make these Frankenstein cookies even more special.
When it comes to decorating, there’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to create the Frankenstein faces. Use your creativity and have fun with it!
Kids can help with adding the food gel, rolling out the dough, and especially decorating the faces. It’s a fun family activity that lets everyone get creative!
Other recipes you may enjoy
- 1 pkg (16 to 17 oz.) sugar cookie dough
- 1 tub (16 oz.) chocolate frosting
- 2 drops black food gel
- 4-5 drops green food gel
- candy eyes
- Preheat the oven according to the sugar cookie directions on the label. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the sugar cookie dough to a large mixing bowl. Mix in 4 to 5 drops of green food gel to the sugar cookie dough.
- Dust your work surface with all-purpose flour. Roll out the green sugar cookie dough. Use a rectangle cookie cutter and cut out the cookies. Add two small pieces of cookie dough three-quarters of the way down the sides of the rectangle. This will create the bolt on each side of Frankenstein. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place cookies on a cooling rack.
- In a medium-size microwavable safe bowl, add in frosting and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in black food gel to the melted frosting. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with a tip.
- Create a fun Frankenstein face with the frosting and candy eyes. Allow frosting to harden.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat.
- What happens if the sugar cookies spread? Don’t worry. This has happened to me many times with store-bought dough, but you can reshape it right when it comes out of the oven. Use a butter knife and gently push the sides back in before the cookies cool off. This will need to be done right when you remove it from the oven.
- Try adding your favorite extract flavor to the dough before baking, or even add some chocolate sprinkles to the cookies when decorating.
- Stored in an air-tight container, these cookies should stay fresh for up to a week.
- You can freeze the undecorated cookies for up to 3 months. Just place them in a single layer in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper. Decorate after thawing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
10 Piece Stainless Steel Pastry Tips, Sizes 0 - 9
Pastry Bag -50 Pack-16-Inch Extra Thick Large Cake/Cupcake Decorating Bags-Disposable Icing Piping Bags Set
Rectangle Cookie Cutter Set-5 pcs Stainless Steel Rectangle Biscuit Molds Fondant Cake Cookie Cutter Set Pastry Heavy Duty Deep Mold 1 Inch Depth
Silicone Spatula Set of 4
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
French Rolling Pin (17 Inches)
Small Candy Eyes - Cake, Cupcake & Cookie Decorations
Gel Food Coloring Set - 10 Colors - Flavorless Edible Food Color Dye Vibrant Concentrated
Parchment Paper Roll with SmartGrid - 3 Boxes of 50 Square Feet (150 Sq. Ft Total)
15-Inch Nonstick Baking Sheet
Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Please note that the nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary significantly between brands. Always be sure to read labels. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. Nutrition info may contain errors, so please verify it independently. Likewise, recipes may contain errors, so please use your common sense when following them.