This Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Mexican-Style Coleslaw recipe is a quick and easy meal solutions that doesn’t sacrifice flavor. Let your slow cooker do the work! Classic American BBQ with a Latin flair!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Mexican-Style Coleslaw
Living in the Southwest, many of our dishes are heavily influenced by the Latin culture. It is easy to find so many of the ingredients used in Latin food here in the Phoenix area, so it’s only natural to want to use them in our meals. One of my favorites is taking classic American BBQ recipes and giving them a Latino flair.
Growing up in the South, one of my favorite meals is American BBQ. When I think of American BBQ, I think of pulled pork with coleslaw – with the coleslaw either on the sandwich or on the side! Over the years, I can’t tell you how many pulled pork sandwiches I have eaten ….. lots of them! However, I have noticed that regionally in the South, BBQ tends to be different depending on where you live. There are no set rules when it comes to BBQ, so why not put a Southwest spin on it? Plus, pulled pork is great for any summer or family gathering – and it’s easy, too!
Making the sandwiches
One of my favorite ingredients right now is chipotle peppers in adobo. I find myself adding it to sooo many things! The funny thing is, I have only started using chipotle peppers in adobo in the last few years or so. I love how the chipotles impart a smokey flavor in my dishes and if I want to, they can bring a nice amount of heat too! Since my husband and two little ones aren’t particularly fond of the spiciness of the peppers, I try to keep things mild enough for them. I was surprised when Brian told me how much he loved these Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Mexican-Style Coleslaw! The La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo add plenty of flavor without overpowering the dish!
La Morena products add authentic Latino flavors to your traditional American BBQ dishes. You can find La Morena products in the Hispanic aisle at Walmart. I especially love the Chipotle Peppers in Adobo and the La Morena Whole or Sliced Jalapenos. They are a great way to add tons of flavors to your dishes!
This Chipotle Pulled Pork is super easy to make since it cooks in the slow cooker. Just before serving, you can toss together the Mexican-Style Coleslaw which pairs nicely with the Chipotle Pulled Pork – it gives you a cool, citrusy crunch that adds a little bit of a pop with the cilantro. It’s like a Latin flavor explosion in your mouth!
coleslaw recipe slightly adapted from Food Network
What is one of your favorite Latin (or Latin-inspired) dishes? I’d love to hear your favorite in the comments!
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
Creamy Chipotle Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Mexican-Style Coleslaw
This Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Mexican-Style Coleslaw recipe is a quick and easy meal solutions that doesn't sacrifice flavor. Let your slow cooker do the work! Classic American BBQ with a Latin flair!
For the Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (3-4 lb), trimmed of fat
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, finely chopped (that's 2 peppers from 1 can - NOT 2 cans!!)
- 1 tbsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 24 cornmeal-dusted Kaiser rolls or regular hamburger buns
For the Mexican-Style Coleslaw
- 1 bag (16 oz.) coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Chipotle Pulled Pork:
- Spray a 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, ground chipotle powder and salt. Rub seasoning mixture over pork. Place pork in cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until tender and meat shreds easily.
- Remove pork from cooker; place on cutting board. Allow pork to cool slightly. Remove the liquid from cooker and skim off fat. Reserve liquid. With 2 forks, shred pork.
- Return shredded pork to the slow cooker. Stir tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and Worcestershire sauce into shredded pork. If desired, stir in some of the reserved cooking liquid for desired moistness.
- Increase heat setting to HIGH. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until hot.
- To serve, spoon some of the pork mixture into each bun. Top with Mexican-Style Coleslaw, if desired.
For the Mexican-Style Coleslaw:
- Place the bagged coleslaw mix into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the lime juice, cumin, garlic and olive oil to a blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour the lime mixture over the cabbage. Top with cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 588mgFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 21g
Adrianas Best Recipes
What a nice recipe and a traditional american BBQ dish with a kick when using La Morena chipotles. Thanks for participating in this shop #client
I am from NC and I love my bbq with coleslaw! I love the southwest twist to this!
Can I just come over for dinner? I too love BBQ, and this looks perfect.
I love this pulled pork sandwich, and bring on the Latin flair! I love my pulled pork piled high with slaw, so this looks just perfect to me!
What is it about pulled pork? With cole slaw on top = totally my speed!
that looks amazing! totally making that later this week! Myrtle Nelson
Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea
Yum! These look great and perfect for busy nights! I'm totally making those chipotle sandwiches Labor Day weekend! Thanks for sharing! Hope party weekend went well!