Sometimes the best things in life really are simple. This Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole is a little bit different and a nice play on traditional Cabbage Rolls. It is easy to prepare and very economical. Plus, there is no need to precook the cabbage! If your would like, you may also top the cabbage with another can of tomato sauce, to make it more like the traditional dish. We like to have this with a veggie, cottage cheese and some kind of bread on the side.
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
This Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole is a little bit different and a nice play on traditional Cabbage Rolls
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 16 oz. bag coleslaw mix or 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Meanwhile, cook the beef, bell pepper, onion and garlic in a skillet until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings. Spread in a greased 13x9x2-in. baking dish. Top with cabbage and the cheese, if desired. Cover with aluminum foil (spray foil with cooking spray if using cheese or extra tomato sauce) and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) or until the rice is tender.
- Serve hot!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 301kcal Calories from fat 141|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|