I'm the kind of person who scrapes the frosting off of store-bought cakes ... I just don't care for it. My kids love it because that usually means they get extra frosting! I don't care for canned frosting too much either but I have used it on a rare occasion - like for my Firecracker Cake or my Halloween Bundt Cake. You can say that I'm sort of a frosting snob.
I love making my own frosting - and you'll love it too once you see how easy and delicious it is! This is my go-to frosting recipe - I use it for everything from cakes, cupcakes, and cookies! This recipe blows that store-bought stuff outta the water .... it just doesn't even compare!
Simple Vanilla Buttercream Frostingby
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Yield: about 3 cups
- ½ cup (1 stick) real butter, softened
- 3¾ cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. milk or water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Food coloring, if desired
1. Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, using 3 tbsp. milk or water.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the ingredients on medium speed until well combined and fluffy. Only add the additional tablespoon of milk or water if frosting seems too thick.
3. Use to frost cakes or cupcakes of your choice.
Don't forget to pin it!