Mexican Chocolate Churros with Dipping Sauceby
Yield: (18-24 churros)
- 1 cup Coffee-mate Abuelita® Mexican Chocolate liquid coffee creamer
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Oil, for frying
- 2 Abuelita® Mexican Chocolate Drink tablets, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
1. In a deep skillet or fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the creamer, butter and salt just to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in flour until the mixture forms a ball. Place the flour mixture in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Increase mixer speed to medium. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stop mixer and set dough aside.
3. In a separate container, mix the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. For the dipping sauce: Bring a double-broiler to a simmer over medium heat. Melt the Mexican Chocolate Drink tablets in the top of the double-broiler. Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth.
5. Spoon the flour mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a star-shaped tip. Carefully pipe the batter into 6-inch strips in the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the fryer. Cook for 4-7 minutes, turning once, or until the churros are lightly browned on both sides and cooked through. Remove with a metal slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
6. While the churros are still warm gently toss in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Powered by Recipage
Thanks to my friends at Coffee-mate, one lucky Love Bakes Good Cakes reader will have the opportunity to win a custom designed coffee mug by Kathy Cano-Murillo of Crafty Chica (actual design may vary from any images shown), coasters and 2 full-value Coffee-mate product coupons ($31 ARV).