This New York Crumb Cake is a classic favorite that goes well with your morning coffee! The crumb topping is to die for!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
New York Crumb Cake
The best part of a New York Crumb Cake is obviously the crumbs! There’s just something about those buttery and cinnamony specks of deliciousness on top of a simple cake. Amiright?!
Many of you know I am not a breakfast fan. Normally, I’m good with a piece of toast, a piece of fruit and some coffee. Sometimes, it’s yogurt, fruit, and coffee. I’m kinda boring lie that. However, we like to have a special breakfast on Sunday mornings – sometimes it’s a sweet meal like coffee cakes or cinnamon rolls … and other times it’s savory like quiches, omelets, breakfast sandwiches. Occasionally, I can’t decide and we have both! Sunday is the one day where I feel like I actually eat “breakfast.”
This New York Crumb Cake is a favorite in the Love Bakes Good Cakes house, but it’s not something we enjoy very often ….
My kiddos like to make me breakfast on Mother’s Day and, to be honest, I have this huge fear of them burning down the house. Over the years, I have figured out that I feel safer to let them “help” me make something on Saturday … that way on Sunday all they have to do is serve it. Sneaky, huh?!
With Mother’s Day just a few days away, this would make a great addition to a special brunch menu for mom! There’s no doubt she’ll love it! 😉 Enjoy!
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the crumb topping
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Brush a 9x13-inch baking dish with Miracle Pan Release or grease and flour. Set aside.
- For the cake - In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the egg, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing and evening it in the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the topping ingredients with a rubber spatula. Using clean hands, crumble the topping over the cake, leaving some of the crumbs large.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
*Store covered and use within 2-3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 153mgFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g