When do you usually start spring cleaning? Here in the Love Bakes Good Cakes house, we started this past week. Although it's not really not one of my favorite things to do, I always feel so much better after its all done! There's something about so freeing about getting rid of junk and having everything in a neat and orderly fashion.
While going through the pantry, I found some things I needed to plan on using soon. I hate to admit that I sometimes go overboard when I buy things .... especially if I can get them on sale. It's almost embarrassing. I found close to 20 boxes of cake mix .... who needs 20 boxes of cake mix?!
It had been awhile since I made muffins of any kind and I really wanted a little sweet breakfast treat. Digging through my recipe box looking for way to use up some cake mix (besides just baking a cake), I found my recipe for these Chocolate Muffins with Chocolate Streusel. One reason I love these chocolate muffins is because they start with a boxed chocolate cake mix (which I had plenty of!!) and a box of instant chocolate pudding! They are super simple to mix up and you get that flavor punch of the double chocolate!
I especially love the streusel topping ..... it's a sweet, chocolate and cinnamon mixture that pairs well with the chocolate muffins! I think it adds that perfect little extra bit that sends these muffins over the top!
Chocolate Muffins with Chocolate Streuselby
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 28 minutes
Yield: 24 servings
- 1 box (15.25 - 18.25 oz.) chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
- ¾ cup water
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil until smooth and well combined.
3. Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the mini chocolate chips, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until well mixed. Spoon the streusel mixture evenly over the top of the muffins.
5. Bake 18-25 minutes or until muffins test done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Don't forget to pin it!